Saturday, January 30, 2010

Are interpersonal conflicts avoidable?

It never fails to amaze me how frequently conflicts come about. Conflicts appear to be a fact of life. Look at how frequently conflicts arise today. You see it happening amongst neighbours, where small matters can actually balloon to become big issues. (I have encountered two neighbours of mine who were arguing over a flower pot that was placed in the middle of the corridor!). You see write-ups on conflicts in the newspapers, where even a simple staring incident can lead to a major fight, leaving both parties severely hurt or even killed! Conflicts even take place when it comes to countries stating claims over territories, such as the Pedra Branca issue.

So we must ask ourselves, since conflicts can potentially take place anywhere and everywhere, are they avoidable? This is a question that I constantly ask myself especially when I get into the occasional quarrel, with parents for instance. (I’m sure most of you if not all can relate to this.)

I will now like to relate an interpersonal conflict that happened during my National Service (NS) days that just proves once again how easily conflicts can occur. The thought of having to go through two years of NS was already something that made me feel very uneasy and getting into a conflict was the last thing I envisioned. However, this was not meant to be…

NS has exposed me to people of very different backgrounds. I got to meet a wide spectrum of people, from those who were high-flyers, to those who were involved in gangs and secret societies. In my army unit, I was made to be in charge of the platoon when we were on a course. Under my charge was a guy who was very notorious. He was once part of a gang and had been involved in numerous fights. I tried to be nice and diplomatic to the platoon in general, but this did not prevent me from having a clash with him.

One day, he approached me in the bunk and told me in hokkien that he did not like the way I handled things in the platoon. I could sense the aggressiveness in his tone. Sensing a potential conflict or even a fight, I did not dare to even look at him and merely answered him politely, telling him that I did not want any problems. Instead, he grabbed me by the collar and before I knew it, there was a struggle. Fortunately, an officer happened to walk pass the bunk and he broke up the tussle. If not who knows what would have happened to me!

The irony here was that my reluctance to face or get involved in the conflict actually got me into a conflict, which ended up with him trying to beat me up! Was it my refusing to face him when he showed up my bunk, portray my arrogance and disrespect for him instead? (Although I answered him politely) Or was it already his intention to beat me up regardless of how I was to react?

Could something have been done differently in this case to avoid the conflict? Or was the conflict in this case really unavoidable? I still ask myself these questions today although I managed to get out of it unscathed.

Thank you for reading this long post and I look forward to reading your responses! =)

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bryan,
    I feel that there are times in which conflicts should be avoided eg giving in to someone that you love, there are also time in which you should not avoid the conflict eg someone coming up to you and shouted at you in the face.

    Body language and tone always reflect how the person is feeling at the particular instance, however the magnitude varies person to person. For your case, coming at you with rage definitely meant that the issue on his mind meant something to him and he wants an answer. Refusal to work with him would of course upset him. If you have tried to listen and responded, i guess things could have been different .

    Actually i would say handling such a person is way easier than someone that doesn't reveal much (as in body language and tone). You can easily see whether you have offended a person if he is expressive(feedback) then adjustments can be made. However if that person doesn't reveal much and you simply kept provoking him, you might just find yourself one friend short the next time round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bryan,

    I feel that nobody will want to have conflict if they are able to choose. However, I believe conflicts can’t be avoided because sometimes, we might create conflict or misunderstanding through things that we are unaware of. These includes our behavior, body language as well as what we say to others. We may also accidentally create conflict when we are feeling frustrated, due to us having a bad day, and just wanting to vent our anger and frustration at the expense of others and this inexplicitly creates misunderstanding.

    In your case, by shying away from the “confrontation” with your hokkien mate, this does not address any issues or differences between the two of you. Perhaps you may be worried that his anger may go out of control if you discuss with him the root of the conflict. However, by confronting you, I think he views this conflict as a problem too and wants it to be resolved as well. A simple heart to heart talk might just be the solution needed to resolve the problem in your conflict and who knows, maybe after this talk, you two might be laughing happily in the canteen. =)..

    Well, that’s just my very own opinion for this case. While I agree that conflicts can create mistrust as well as weaken relationships, resolving conflicts early can also increase the trust between each other and also improves the relationship. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I definitely think that iin any situation, takes to hands to clap. I also agree that if I had the courage to face him, there was a possibility of the conflict being resolved there and then, perhaps in a peaceful manner. The fear of getting into a fight then sort of blinded me to a possibility of solving the matter in a better away, instead of just trying to avoid it.

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bryan, you asked if conflicts are avoidable as they can potentially take place anywhere and everywhere - I'm interested to know what you think.

    I thought Alex shared a very astute point here: that conflict can be avoided or furthered if so wished.

    In the scenario you shared, I could tell that you definitely did not want to get into the conflict (and I believe I know enough about you the past few sessions to know that you are a good-natured person who would want to avoid conflicts to the best of your 'ability'). You asked what happened there? I'm afraid we would never know. Whether it was your refusal, or whether it was already the guy's original intention to beat you up when he sought you out that day is anyone's guess.

    What I would like to bring to your attention, rather, is that the conflict probably didn't 'begin' that day. The guy, according to you, approached you telling you he did not like the way “things were handled” - earlier incidents between the two of you may already have ignited the 'spark' which led to the confrontation. Would you be able to pinpoint any incident(s) which may have resulted in the confrontation if you were to take a look even further back in time?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Bryan,

    It was an interesting read! Unpleasant as it must have been for you, it brought back fond memories of the army for me (:

    Personally I feel that this person must have been quite bored with his day and was looking for some excitement. Perhaps he came to you with the intention of picking a fight with you and the fact that you somewhat cowered (by not looking him in the eye) gave him the boost of confidence he needed to show the power he thought he had over you.

    Perhaps if you had looked him in the eye and asked him straight out about what his problems were (not aggressively of course, just firmly) he would have regarded you as an equal and talked to you instead of threatening you. You two could have come to a compromise about the way you handled certain things and both of you would have left the conversation satisfied.

    Then again, we don't know how what he was thinking then, and what kind of a person he is. Perhaps he prefers physical violence over talking, we will never know. If he had come to you looking for some excitement, there was probably no way you could have avoided a fight.

    But you sure are lucky for being able to escape unharmed! (:

    Lets hope you'll never have such an encounter again (:

    Best,
    Clarence

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the long response Clarence! =) And yes Ms Lim, I do agree with you that the "conflict" could have indeed started some time back. Thinking back, I did recall that he was really quiet in the platoon. He never really talked to anyone and seemed to keep to himself most of the time. He also appeared to be rather frustrated. I was ignorant to that then, mistaking it for his usual demeanour. That could have been his way of "voicing" his discontentment.
    So if solved from the start, things could probably been have resolved. =)

    Cheers,

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete