Friday, April 16, 2010

Final Reflections, but Communications for Life!




In just a blink of an eye, yet another semester has just flown by. Although the ES2007S lasted a mere 13 weeks, however, the skills learnt from this module will indeed last a lifetime! Indeed the skills learnt in this module are transferable, and will be very beneficial regardless of the field that I intend to work in after graduation. Although the workload for this module was indeed very heavy, I have no regrets taking this module.

Reflecting back, this module has given me the opportunity to teach a class on an allocated topic, write effective application letters and resumes, prepare for interviews, craft a proposal, as well as to give persuasive oral presentations. Indeed, this module has made me realize that possessing effective communication skills are necessary! The module has also made me realize that it is not just achieving good grades that will allow us to attain our dream job, but also how well we sell ourselves. It was also through ES2007S that I was exposed to various online communication platforms. The platforms include that of blogs, google docs, google wave other wikis like NUS wiki.

Although I have heard of these online communication tools before, it was only when I learnt of how to use these platforms for communication, did I realize the actual usefulness of such platforms. Using google wave in combination with google docs and skype not only made group project meetings unique, but also allowed our group to get the task done in the fastest and most effective way possible. This was especially convenient, given our tight schedules. As such, the module not only exposed and equipped me with the necessary communication skills, but also to fully utilize online communication platforms to the fullest, and this I feel will carry me a long way, especially in the workplace in the future!

What I particularly enjoyed in this module was the interactive nature in which lessons were conducted. Unlike most of the other modules offered in NUS where the class size is usually big (big to the extent where you will never get to know all your classmates), the small class size has allowed for more interaction in class. It was also one of the rare moments where I got to know everyone personally in class, which made attending lessons more fun and meaningful.

Lastly, I will also like to take this opportunity to thank Ms. Lim for being such a wonderful and dedicated tutor, and everyone in class for making this module such a wonderful experience! I hope that all of us will be able to keep in touch long after this module has ended. All the best in your future endeavours! =)

7 comments:

  1. Hi Bryan,

    I really enjoy having you in my class!

    You come across as a very sprightly guy who is keen to learn, and also one who has a positive attitude towards life.

    I appreciate the effort you'd put in for the module, be it for the Proposal or your Oral Presentation, and am glad you'd put your best foot forward! I'm also gratified to know that you found so many of the ES components enriching.

    I do hope you continue to blog - I do enjoy reading your posts =)

    Keep in touch, and all the best for your upcoming examinations!

    Cheers,
    Ms. Lim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bryan,

    I have also enjoyed the interaction of the class through those interesting and enriching activities. Like you, I'm sure each of us took home something new such as the blogging experience, using wiki platform and so on... These skills will definitely serve us well in future.

    Also, thank you for being a good group mate for the proposal and presentation =).

    Cheers
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bryan,

    Like you, besides wikipedia, I've never really thought much about "wiki platforms" till I had to do my peer teaching on that. I never knew that there were such platforms out there to help me in group collaboration work. Though we were pretty uncomfortable with it initially, my group, and I'm sure the rest of us as well, manage to reap the benefits of using wiki while experiencing frustrations occasionally.

    Thank you for contributing to the fun I had in taking this module and for being that fellow babysitter on that first day of class =p All the best and see you around (:

    ~ Jia Lin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I agree that we have all learned a lot from this module. I must say your suggestion of using Skype is indeed a genius way to have project discussion. Considering the 3 of us all stays at different areas of Singapore and have different free days, Skype and Google wave defiantly helped our group a lot.

    I still remember you saying procrastinating is 1 of your greatest flaw during the mock interview. However, after working with you for the past few weeks, I can tell that you have made tremendous effort to push yourself to get things done. You have always been the 1 that pushes our group for meetings and to get things done. Thanks to you, we managed to do the whole project at a very comfortable pace. I believed that I have learned a lot from you. I would like to take this opportunity to thanks you for the great effort. I am glad to have this opportunity to work with Andrew and you. Thanks.

    xoxo,
    Student A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone! Thanks for all the encouraging comments! =)

    Ms Lim, after reading your post I really feel like continuing to blog! =) Will try to maintain this blog and do so when I can! And yes lets keep in touch. I'll be planning a gathering for the class sometime in June, so hope you'll be able to make it!

    Andrew, thanks for being some a wonderful group mate too! It won't be the last time we're seeing each other for sure! We'll be taking more modules together given that we're both Life Science majors! =)

    Jia Lin, I definitely recall the day when we both had to go up to present...the two babysitters!!! Indeed, this felt like yesterday, which goes to show how fast time flies. Glad you learnt a lot from this module too and all the best for your exams and future endeavours! Lets keep in touch! =)

    Andy, thanks for being such a wonderful group mate too! =) It was indeed a wonderful experience getting to work with you and Andrew! It's a pity good times always come to an end. Hope we get to take future modules together! Perhaps ES3007?? Haha. Keep in touch! =)

    All the best everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Bryan!
    Over the years we have all gotten used to doing project work in a particular fashion and using wiki platforms was definitely not part of that. But having used them, I can now see how coordinating with groupmates and organising our documents can be made simpler.
    It's really been a pleasure doing this module with you. A gathering would be a wonderful too! Gd luck for your finals and keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jayanthi!

    Thanks for the comments! =) We can definitely use these platforms in our future projects and surprise the other groups on hpow efficient we can be! =P All the best for your finals too! And catch you soon (other than in the exam hall)

    Cheers,

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete